[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #45530: Fallback to loaded translations when .json files with translated strings do not exist

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Dec 7 21:15:21 UTC 2018

#45530: Fallback to loaded translations when .json files with translated strings do
not exist
-------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  dimadin      |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  closed

Comment (by dimadin):

 Thanks, I didn't notice #45425.

 > Also, tools are being build to make generating the JSON files easier,
 see https://github.com/wp-cli/i18n-command/pull/109 for example.

 It is better than now, but it's not always easier. It assumes that every
 translator has and needs WP-CLI which is not the case. Another thing is
 that introduces second step for building which is slower than what there
 is now (now it's CTRL/Cmd + S and that's all).

 > There are also plans to not include the JavaScript translations in the
 PO/MO files anymore so a fallback to PHP won't help here.

 They might be excluded in PO/MO files in the language packs generated by
 WordPress.org, however they are still there if you don't get them that
 way. It's not true that it won't help, you might use desktop software for
 translating, not do it through GlotPress. (It did help me since I
 translate that way.)

 If latest patch from #45425 is committed, I'll create a plugin based on my
 patch here and `pre_load_script_translation` filter.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/45530#comment:3>