[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44851: Offer LTS (Long Term Support) version of WordPress 4.9.x when 5.0 (Gutenberg) rolls out

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Aug 28 01:40:53 UTC 2018

#44851: Offer LTS (Long Term Support) version of WordPress 4.9.x when 5.0
(Gutenberg) rolls out
-----------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  mor10            |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request  |      Status:  new

Comment (by jeremyescott):

 Question: Won't the ability to turn off Gutenberg make this action
 unnecessary?

 Whether I like it or not, as a plugin developer, I'll be in for supporting
 two methods of WordPress editing for a long while. Even then, while I may
 discontinue support for, the "classic editor" in my plugin at some time,
 say 2+ years from 5.0, it won't stop a user from downloading it.

 A case in point is that WordPress still supports blog links, with a simple
 plugin install, years after it was uninstalled. How do I know? A clients'
 site of mine still runs it, and the plugin that re-enabled it continues to
 work.

 I am no regular around core dev, but I don't see a need for this given
 WP's track record with major changes; this won't be a breaking change to
 fear.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44851#comment:1>