[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44707: The user should be able to create additional requests when previous duplicates are complete or archived

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Aug 2 16:45:27 UTC 2018

#44707: The user should be able to create additional requests when previous
duplicates are complete or archived
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  garrett-eclipse  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)     |     Status:  new
Component:  Privacy          |    Version:  4.9.6
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  privacy          |
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Hello,

 Currently the wp_create_user_request function has a check for duplicate
 requests of any post_status which blocks an admin from making a second
 request with the same email_address.

 This is great however this limits admins from making another request after
 their initial request is completed or archived (future feature) and forces
 them to remove the original request before being able to make another.

 It would be nice to soften this block so additional requests using the
 email_address can be done when the original request is completed/old as
 there may be new information added for the email_address since the
 previous request.

 Many admins also need to leave requests rather than remove for logging and
 auditing needs so forcing the removal before another request can be made
 conflicts with their legal requirements in some areas.

 So in short I'm suggesting updating the $requests_query post_status
 argument to be an array of states that should actually block the
 duplicates such as `array( 'request-pending', 'request-confirmed' )`. I
 didn't include 'request-failed' or 'request-completed' as these states I
 feel should support duplicates as they're no longer active requests.

 In this way admins can retain a log of their requests but still be able to
 make additional requests for users if all their previous requests had
 finished.

 Thanks