[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43546: Add to the privacy tools UX a means to export personal data by username or email address

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Apr 27 14:58:51 UTC 2018

#43546: Add to the privacy tools UX a means to export personal data by username or
email address
--------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  allendav            |       Owner:  allendav
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by allendav):

 Replying to [comment:18 desrosj]:
 > I hit this pretty hard, and everything seems to work great! I was not
 really able to break it. But have some thoughts on a few things.

 > It took me quite a while to find the "Resend Email" in the bulk actions,
 and it was not clear to me what that did. I expected it to resend the link
 to the confirmed request, but instead, it restarts the process completely.
 Any link that was previously emailed to a user did still work, though. Can
 we make this clearer? I think it also makes sense to add this to the
 actions row for each post. If "Download Personal Data" is changed to just
 "Download", there could be a few more links added there, such as "Resend
 File", "Resend Confirmation" or "Restart Process".

 @melchoyce - what do you think? I'd like to address this in a separate
 patch if we decide to change this.

 > - If you submit the same email more than once before a user has
 confirmed the original request, additional requests are added to the
 table, but only the most recent one is able to be confirmed. All others
 will show "Invalid Key". Can we limit to one unconfirmed request per
 email?

 @mikejolley - this sounds like a bug? What do you think? I'd like to
 address this in a separate patch if we decide to fix this.

 > - When logged in as an admin, I can click "Download Personal Data"
 before the user has confirmed the request. Is this ok?

 Yes - the idea is to give an admin the flexibility to generate the file at
 any time

 > - For inline documentation for an array parameter does not match the
 coding standards (https://make.wordpress.org/core/handbook/best-practices
 /inline-documentation-standards/php/#1-1-parameters-that-are-arrays), but
 there is no documentation for an array of arrays. Not sure what the
 correct format here, but I think `@type` needs to be added, at least.

 Yup - i ran into the same thing!

 > - `$report_path` in `wp_privacy_process_personal_data_export_page()` is
 never used and `$request_path` after it is not set in the function. Is
 this a typo? Or did I miss where this was coming from?

 Good catch! That should be $export_file in that block - it cleans up old
 export meta when generating a second one on the same request. Will fix
 asap and post a patch here

 > Code points addressed in [attachment:43546.8.diff]:
 >
 > - Added inline documentation for
 `wp_ajax_wp_privacy_export_personal_data()`.
 > - Inline comments should end with periods.
 > - Moved the check for a friendly name after the `! is_array()` check and
 used the friendly name and match the following errors instead of "Exporter
 at index X".
 > - Took a shot at improving the documentation for
 `wp_privacy_generate_personal_data_export_group_html()` (see above about
 not knowing the exact format for nested array parameters).

 Thank you thank you!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43546#comment:22>