[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43738: Make the GDPR Export/Delete functionality available in network-wide for super admins

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Apr 26 17:28:01 UTC 2018

#43738: Make the GDPR Export/Delete functionality available in network-wide for
super admins
-------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  TZ Media     |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
Changes (by jeremyfelt):

 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => 5.0

Comment:

 I'm not sure we can reliably handle this by making AJAX requests to each
 site from the dashboard due to CORS. An interface via WP-CLI would be nice
 for efficiency at a later point, but we'll need a direct solution in core
 as well.

 A side-effect of using `switch_to_blog()` to schedule cron events on many
 sites is that any plugins hooking into WP's cron system will not be
 available. This could cause unknown issues with how those events are (or
 aren't) run.

 For 4.9.6 we could store a network option containing a list of sites and
 users awaiting data. Each individual site could regularly check this list
 to start its own data process. For 5.0.0 we would have `wp_blogmeta`
 available and could place something there instead.

 An alternative could be a REST endpoint on each site that returns a user's
 data and is called from a cron event via "remote" request on the network's
 main site.

 In any case, I don't see a straight-forward way of doing this on demand.
 Anything will require a build period in which data is collected across the
 network before it is ready.

 I'm moving this to 5.0 as a suggestion. I don't see it being ready for
 4.9.6 as we haven't gone through a collection of data across
 dozens/hundreds/thousands of sites before and it needs time to soak and be
 tested thoroughly.

 Separately—I'm not sure if it belongs on this ticket—we should be able to
 plan on network level data itself being exported as part of the main site.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43738#comment:14>