[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43799: Add a UI and functionality to deactivate gravatar completely (for single site as well as network-wide)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Apr 19 06:13:35 UTC 2018

#43799: Add a UI and functionality to deactivate gravatar completely (for single
site as well as network-wide)
------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  TZ Media          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new
Changes (by TZ Media):

 * keywords:  gdpr => gdpr 2nd-opinion

Comment:

 Upon looking at it - yes, it might be. I must admit that I didn't actually
 look at the implementation of {{{get_avatar()}}} before opening this
 ticket.

 However, the implementation of get_avatar() allows for 2 ways to display
 avatars even if show_avatars is false:
 * {{{$args[''force_display'']}}}.
 * the {{{pre_get_avatar}}}-filter hook.

 This effectively makes it impossible for an admin to override a plugin or
 theme trying to force the display of gravatars.

 At least In the case of {{{show_avatars = false}}} and {{{force_display =
 true}}}, we might have to deliver a (local!) placeholder image, because
 the layout might depend on "something" being present, hence forcing its
 output.

 So to fix this we need to
 * immediately return false if {{{show_avatars = false}}} and
 {{{force_display = false}}}, even before executing {{{pre_get_avatar}}}
 * immediately return a local placeholder image if {{{show_avatars =
 false}}} and {{{force_display = true}}}
 * in all other cases, run through get_avatar as usual.

 I could easily patch this, but the question is if we should filter the
 local placeholder through {{{pre_get_avatar}}} and {{{get_avatar}}}, and
 effectively allow third party code to replace it with a non-local avatar
 again.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43799#comment:2>