[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43783: Bulk Actions for Large Post Counts will create request URL which is too long, and browsers reject

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Apr 16 16:24:30 UTC 2018

#43783: Bulk Actions for Large Post Counts will create request URL which is too
long, and browsers reject
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  brianjfleming    |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)     |     Status:  new
Component:  Quick/Bulk Edit  |    Version:  4.9.5
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  administration   |
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 When applying bulk actions to large post counts (over 30), WP generates,
 at times, a URL which is so long, it will be automatically rejected by
 browsers and fail to even send the request.

 For instance, Chrome (as well as most other browsers) limit their URL
 requests to a maximum of 2083 characters.

 It seems that bulk actions create a set of actions to be applied to each
 post, and then create a post, post-id, security, and http_referer param
 for each post selected, which very quickly will become longer than that
 2083 limit.

 Our use case was in trying to set post status from draft to publish on
 upwards of 100 posts, the most we found we were able to do in one request
 was ~30. The original request created a URL which, including params, was
 over 11,000 characters long.

 Perhaps running an AJAX call, or using post-data would alleviate this
 issue.