[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16841: Manually created user roles not showing in author dropdown regardless of assigned capabilities

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Apr 14 20:31:35 UTC 2018

#16841: Manually created user roles not showing in author dropdown regardless of
assigned capabilities
------------------------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  10sexyapples                  |       Owner:  swissspidy
     Type:  defect (bug)                  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by danielbachhuber):

 I'm -1 on the general idea of querying based on capabilities.

 Capabilities can and are expected to be modified at runtime. As such, this
 makes them inherently unpredictable to query against.

 Furthermore, `edit_posts` would only be applicable to post types that use
 it. Another post type could use something like `edit_products`. We'd be
 back at square one: users not appearing in the dropdown.

 Truly solving the original problem described in this ticket would require
 refactoring WordPress' roles and capabilities system. Doing so is a non-
 trivial project and unlikely in the foreseeable future.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16841#comment:52>