[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Sep 25 19:38:57 UTC 2017

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  reviewing
  user-testing has-patch needs-      |  javascript
  testing ux-feedback                |

Comment (by melchoyce):

 Thanks for all your hard work powering through these iterations this
 weekend, @celloexpressions @folletto. This is feeling way, way better.

 I agree [attachment:customizer-theme-showcase-i5.png] is the right
 direction for mobile.

 Some additional feedback:
 - When I search for a keyword in my installed themes that isn't present,
 the theme area is empty, but the theme count still says "10" (the number
 of installed themes I have)
 - WordPress.org themes get a message when there aren't any themes found,
 but Installed Themes doesn't. It should appear in both filters.
 - On Installed Themes, I'd also recommend taking it a step further and
 doing `No themes found. Try a different search, or [search the
 WordPress.org directory].` and link to the .org filter.
 - I don't think the feature filters should be sticky when open. I scrolled
 down to look at the theme results, and can barely see a full row on my
 screen.
 - The background colors behind the theme filters and the theme list feel a
 little awkward to me — I've attached a screenshot of an alternate set of
 colors that uses `#eee` for the background, adds some additional borders,
 and changes the theme name background to white.
 - What if we showed your current theme (maybe condensed down to a smaller
 preview) above the Installed/.org filters?
 - What if we added some help text or a description to this panel?

 @jbpaul17 Do you think we can still get theme uploading in Beta 1, even if
 we can't finish that piece before feature merge on Wednesday?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:190>