[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21622: Validate or sandbox theme file edits before saving them (as is done for plugins)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Sep 25 15:55:47 UTC 2017

#21622: Validate or sandbox theme file edits before saving them (as is done for
plugins)
--------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  eschwartz93               |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement               |      Status:  new

Comment (by jdgrimes):

 It would be even better though if we didn't have to potentially break the
 site at all for other users, even if only for a few moments. That would be
 the benefit of copying the entire theme: then we could selectively load
 the edited copy only for those specific requests to check for errors;
 anybody else visiting the site while that was happening would get the
 backup copy of the theme.

 This would have its own downsides though, like when the theme directory
 name is hard-coded in any part of the theme code—a backup copy might still
 utilize the edited file, even though it was loaded from a different
 directory.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21622#comment:20>