[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38707: Customizer: Additional CSS highlight, revisions, selection, per-page, pop-out

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Sep 21 19:08:59 UTC 2017

#38707: Customizer: Additional CSS highlight, revisions, selection, per-page, pop-
out
-------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  folletto     |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by melchoyce):

 Replying to [comment:37 folletto]:
 > > This leads directly into one of the big challenges that @melchoyce and
 I have been thinking about for the future of the Customizer: how can users
 be informed when a change is local to the current “page” or global to all
 areas of the site?

 > Yes, this is a broader question, that I'd still try to avoid in the work
 done in this component specifically. The reason is that it's an issue at a
 higher order in the architecture, and should be addressed there instead of
 a per-feature UI. Once we have a higher-level pattern, we can review all
 the UIs to follow that pattern.

 > The reason I'm saying this is that I could imagine that, with Gutenberg
 in sight, the difference is dealt in the same way at a block level, either
 by having "global blocks" (instances that are flagged as such) or
 "templates" (layout schemes that can be reused across multiple screens).
 Or... maybe not.

 I agree — I think our work informing global vs. local in Gutenberg will
 help us make a better decision here. Cool exploration, and let's keep it
 in mind for customization post-Gutenberg.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38707#comment:38>