[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38707: Customizer: Additional CSS highlight, revisions, selection, per-page, pop-out

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Sep 20 23:21:44 UTC 2017

#38707: Customizer: Additional CSS highlight, revisions, selection, per-page, pop-
out
-------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  folletto     |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by westonruter):

 Replying to [comment:34 folletto]:
 > I'm not sure I understand... does this represent a step forward to later
 implement the Per-Page CSS, is that correct?
 > So that will come after #41897?

 It's one approach to implementing Per-Page CSS. It's not intended to
 replace what is designed here, but rather to provide an alternative take
 on it. In Customize Posts, each post/page gets its own section added
 dynamically in the Customizer. These sections contain controls for
 managing each post's title, content, featured image, etc. So it just adds
 “Custom CSS” as another one of the fields (as a demonstration of the
 control in #41897). It then ties the CSS to the specific post/page (via
 meta), and allows those styles to apply on whatever template that post may
 appear on.

 So that actually actually brings up something I've been wondering about in
 regards to:

 > Per-Page CSS as a complement of the current //site-wide// CSS for better
 management

 What is the CSS linked with when you provide per-page CSS? Is it a “Page”
 page we're talking about or just some URL? Like would it allow a user to
 provide custom styling to a category archive page? If I supply styling for
 a category then does it get applied to page 2 and page 3 of the category's
 posts? In other words, are the customizations tied to the specific _URL_
 or the “queried object”? This leads directly into one of the big
 challenges that @melchoyce and I have been thinking about for the future
 of the Customizer: how can users be informed when a change is local to the
 current “page” or global to all areas of the site?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38707#comment:36>