[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #41022: About: Change "Contributing Developers" to indicate there are more than just developers contributing

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Oct 20 08:04:51 UTC 2017

#41022: About: Change "Contributing Developers" to indicate there are more than
just developers contributing
----------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  melchoyce       |       Owner:
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  new

Comment (by johnjamesjacoby):

 The "Contributing Developers" verbiage was taken from the about page:
 https://wordpress.org/about/

 (Tangentially, that page could use a comb through it also.)

 I'm not really concerned about titular accuracy, so long as everyone feels
 adequately attributed & appreciated.

 I'm hesitant to break apart designers from developers, without paying
 other equally deserving roles similarly fair treatment.

 Philosophically, every contributor is helping develop the software, and is
 a software developer regardless of whether their contribution was code,
 pixels, or spirit.

 If the phrase "Contributing Developers" has culturally shifted away from
 being all inclusive, we should try to pick a modern equivalent. If that's
 undesirable, eliminate the section entirely, and/or replace it with
 something more meaningful.

 * Component Leads
 * Core Committers
 * Noteworthy Contributors
 * Outstanding Community Members
 * Significant Effort Provided By

 Is the goal to highlight everyone with core commit access? Across recent
 releases, or just the current one? Whatever the criteria is should help
 guide the descriptor, IMO. If others want their name up in that section, a
 proper description tells them how to achieve it.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/41022#comment:9>