[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #41424: Use a better error message than "Error establishing a database connection" when site isn't found (was: loose error message: Error establishing a database connection)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 10 19:44:17 UTC 2017

#41424: Use a better error message than "Error establishing a database connection"
when site isn't found
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  tthorp       |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by danielbachhuber):

 +1 to improving the error state when a site isn't found.

 The source of this issue is `ms_not_installed()`, which calls `dead_db()`:

 {{{
 function ms_not_installed( $domain, $path ) {
         global $wpdb;

         if ( ! is_admin() ) {
                 dead_db();
         }
 }}}

 Calling `dead_db()` was added in r31657, which displays the generic db
 connection error. Limiting the contents of the error message was applied
 all the way back in r14317.

 ----

 This is a commonly experienced issue when moving a multisite database
 between environments. If `wp search-replace` was performed incorrectly, or
 not at all, the end user will experience the cryptic error.

 I can reproduce this issue by:

 1. Creating a new WordPress multisite instance with one site.
 2. Manually setting the `domain` value in the `wp_blogs` table to
 `mstest.org`.
 3. Manually editing the `DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE` constant to `mstest.dev`.

 When visiting `mstest.dev` in my browser, I see:

 > Error establishing a database connection

 On the command line, WP-CLI is a bit more helpful with:

 > Error: Site 'mstest.dev/' not found. Verify DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE matches
 an existing site or use `--url=<url>` to override.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/41424#comment:2>