[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21622: Validate or sandbox theme file edits before saving them (as is done for plugins)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Oct 1 21:41:19 UTC 2017

#21622: Validate or sandbox theme file edits before saving them (as is done for
plugins)
 Reporter:  eschwartz93  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
Changes (by westonruter):

 * keywords:  needs-patch dev-feedback => needs-patch

Comment:

 In the case of editing a theme, I like the idea of identifying if a PHP
 template file is being edited and then issuing a loopback request for a
 URL that would load that template. It would be difficult to reliably
 reverse the template hierarchy to figure out a URL that would result in a
 given PHP template to be included, however. So I'd consider that an
 enhancement. The minimum would be to do the loopback request onto the file
 editor in the admin to make sure the user doesn't whitescreen themselves
 out of being able to fix any mistakes they make.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21622#comment:22>