[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42725: Introduce gender compatible translation function, and gender user profile field

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 29 17:56:10 UTC 2017

#42725: Introduce gender compatible translation function, and gender user profile
field
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  yoavf        |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by GregRoss):

 @glueckpress This change will impact the translation teams one way or the
 other, both will add additional strings and work.

 Unlike variants (like your German example), I would not expect these
 gender strings to have a high percentage of overlap between the genders
 (after all that's the whole point of having the different genders).

 That means that whether we embed them in the current translation files or
 in separate PO files, the same work is going to have to go in to managing
 them.

 P.S. The issue you brought up in the German variants example is well know,
 you might want to take a look at this PR for GlotPress,
 https://github.com/GlotPress/GlotPress-WP/pull/747, which is targeted for
 the next release and allows for a root->variant relationship between
 locales and for any untranslated strings in the variant, the root
 translation is used.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42725#comment:10>