[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #41424: Use a better error message than "Error establishing a database connection" when site isn't found

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 22 06:12:04 UTC 2017

#41424: Use a better error message than "Error establishing a database connection"
when site isn't found
------------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  tthorp                        |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                   |      Status:  new
Changes (by jeremyfelt):

 * keywords:   => needs-patch needs-unit-tests
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => Future Release

Comment:

 It does seem like there's room to improve here.

 For this scenario, adding `/wp-admin/` to the URL will get a more
 descriptive (though still confusing) message that includes this text:

 "Could not find site src.wordpress-develop.dev. Searched for table
 wp_blogs in database wordpress_develop. Is that right?"

 That's probably more along the lines of what we can do. Really, we could
 think about using `wp_die()` in `ms_load_current_site_and_network()`
 rather than returning `false` and causing `dead_db()`. A similar thing
 happens when a network cannot be found.

 Is it okay to expose the table and database name or should we have
 something more general? I know we expose all of this behind `/wp-admin/`
 which kind of defeats the purpose of the obfuscation. :)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/41424#comment:4>