[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42644: Customize: Add rich text control for managing tagline and new footer credit theme support

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Nov 20 19:59:33 UTC 2017

#42644: Customize: Add rich text control for managing tagline and new footer credit
theme support
-----------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  westonruter      |       Owner:
     Type:  feature request  |      Status:  new
Description changed by westonruter:

Old description:

> In #35243 we extended the Text widget to add TinyMCE. This depended on
> #35760 which introduced the `wp.editor.initialize()` API for dynamically-
> instantiating TinyMCE editors. Similarly in #41897 we introduced a Code
> Editor control which leveraged the `wp.codeEditor.initialize()` API
> introduced in #12423. It would seem that there should similarly be a rich
> text control available in the Customizer.
>
> The rich text control could be used to manage the site's tagline.
>
> This rich text control could also be leveraged by themes to manage a
> site's footer area. Instead of “Powered by WordPress” being hard-coded
> into the theme's footer, it could instead be the default value for a
> `footer_credit` option. This would then allow a user to easily add
> additional site credits and copyright information to the footer of their
> site, without having to modify the theme template to do so. WordPress.com
> has a dropdown control with preset options for this “powered by” text and
> then a final option to hide for business plans. There could also be a
> “custom” option which could then reveal a footer credit rich text input
> where a user could supply links and other content allowed by the Text
> widget. Naturally the bundled core themes in WordPress.org could make
> this available by default without requiring a business plan.
>
> A new `footer_credit` theme support could be added support added to
> Twenty Seventeen to take advantage of this new functionality. Previewing
> the change to the footer text should be done with selective refresh.
>
> The rich text control could also be used in themes for managing other
> parts of the template, like business hours appearing in the header,
> without having to add a new widget sidebar.
>
> Editor should only initialize once the control's containing section is
> expanded, as was done with the Code Editor control.

New description:

 In #35243 we extended the Text widget to add TinyMCE. This depended on
 #35760 which introduced the `wp.editor.initialize()` API for dynamically-
 instantiating TinyMCE editors. Similarly in #41897 we introduced a Code
 Editor control which leveraged the `wp.codeEditor.initialize()` API
 introduced in #12423. It would seem that there should similarly be a rich
 text control available in the Customizer.

 The rich text control could be used to manage the site's tagline.

 This rich text control could also be leveraged by themes to manage a
 site's footer credits; the control could appear in the Site Identity
 section. Instead of “Powered by WordPress” being hard-coded into the

Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42644#comment:6>