[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42428: wp-emoji pops up privacy hanger in Firefox with privacy.resistFingerprinting turned on

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Nov 3 10:23:30 UTC 2017

#42428: wp-emoji pops up privacy hanger in Firefox with
privacy.resistFingerprinting turned on
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  robinwhittleton    |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new
Changes (by pento):

 * keywords:   => reporter-feedback
 * version:  trunk =>

Comment:

 Hi @robinwhittleton, thank you for the report!

 We had a similar bug report for the Tor Browser (#32138), but were
 unfortunately unable to resolve it, as there was no way to determine
 whether the browser would cause a popup for this detection technique.

 Unfortunately, we haven't been able to find an alternative method of
 detecting browser emoji rendering support, so the technique itself is here
 to stay. If there were an appropriate flag we could check for before
 running the emoji check, we could certainly short circuit it. Tor doesn't
 have such a flag, do you know if Firefox does?

 I don't expect the emoji compatibility script to be deprecated. Browsers
 can only render the emoji that the OS they're installed on knows about, so
 as new emoji are released, browsers have to wait for OSes to catch up. In
 the mean time, we usually update our emoji library well ahead of OSes, so
 folks can start using the new emoji immediately.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42428#comment:1>