[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40886: REST API: PUT requests fail on Nginx servers when fancy permalinks aren't enabled

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue May 30 13:23:31 UTC 2017

#40886: REST API: PUT requests fail on Nginx servers when fancy permalinks aren't
enabled
--------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  Joen                      |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)              |      Status:  new

Comment (by dd32):

 While working around the issue isn't out of the question (I'd suggest that
 it shouldn't use the `$is_nginx` variable, and should just always return
 that, for consistency), I'm a little concerned that
 expected behaviour.

 It's completely an expected behaviour for a server not to accept a non-
 GET/HEAD/POST request, it's the exact reason why the
 [https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/using-the-rest-api/global-
 parameters/#_method-or-x-http-method-override-header `method` overrides
 are available] in both WordPress and many other api platforms. (Also
 because sometimes in-between proxies/etc mangle requests)

 Possibly this is something that could/should be handed by `wp.js`? If a
 request is rejected with `405 (Not Allowed)` flip the flag and just use
 the overrides transparently?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/40886#comment:3>