[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40807: Starter content: Allow for setting a "parent" for pages (and other hierarchical CPTs)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu May 18 19:47:57 UTC 2017

#40807: Starter content: Allow for setting a "parent" for pages (and other
hierarchical CPTs)
 Reporter:  webmandesign  |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement   |     Status:  new
 From what I can see in
 [https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/get_theme_starter_content/
 get_theme_starter_content()] function, it only allows for specific fields
 to be set for posts: `post_type`, `post_title`, `post_excerpt`,
 `post_name`, `post_content`, `menu_order`, `comment_status`, `thumbnail`
 and `template`.

 I would like to propose '''adding a `parent` field''' in there too for
 hierarchical post types, such as Pages.

 That way we can also create child pages (or sub-pages) in starter content,
 such as:

 {{{#!php
 $starter_content = array(

   'posts' => array(

     'contact' => array(
       'template' => 'page-templates/list-of-child-pages.php',
     ),

     'contact-dublin' => array(
       'post_type'    => 'page',
       'post_title'   => 'Dublin Office Contact',
       'post_content' => 'Page content here...',
       'parent'       => '{{contact}}', // <-- Here's the magic:
                                        //     Making this a child page of
 our "Contact" page.
     ),

   ),