[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38131: REST API: Provide interface to include or exclude specific fields from response JSON

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun May 7 05:12:39 UTC 2017

#38131: REST API: Provide interface to include or exclude specific fields from
response JSON
-------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  kadamwhite   |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by joehoyle):

 I'm +1 on this. I think we should probably handle embeds and object fields
 as two issues. Choosing _which_ embeds could potentially be part of the
 "object fields", but once we get into whitelisting fields of specific
 embeds I think we are getting into GraphQL territory. While I think there
 may be merit in such a thing, I think a good first milestone would be
 whitelisting embeds and specific fields of the main requested object.

 I think the patch by @adamsilverstein is a good start - we could roll with
 something like this for now, and then add internal optimizations in follow
 up patches / releases. As @jnylen0 pointed out we already do a good amount
 of schema checking. I think there might be potentially to actually have
 `get_item_schema()` take into account the requested fields; or do the
 "diff" early, so then we don't need to change any of the code that does
 `isset( $schema['title'] )` etc, so we can just keep that pattern, and
 implement it on more controllers and fields over time.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38131#comment:16>