[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35390: image_constrain_size_for_editor() should not affect images generated on the front end when `large` size is used.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu May 4 18:31:07 UTC 2017

#35390: image_constrain_size_for_editor() should not affect images generated on the
front end when `large` size is used.
------------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  rabmalin                      |       Owner:  joemcgill
     Type:  defect (bug)                  |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by pressupinc):

 My business partner and I are trying to make progress on this ticket. We
 like @joemcgill's suggestion to have functions call
 `image_constrain_size_for_editor()` directly, rather than doing it through
 `image_downsize()`.

 So we looked at the five functions that call `image_downsize()`, and we've
 broken them into what we think  (but aren't sure) should and should not
 call `image_constrain_size_for_editor()`:

 ----

 ''Yes''
 `get_image_tag()` - we're pretty sure this is what actually generates
 images in the TinyMCE Visual Editor, so it should be scaled in an Editor
 context.

 ''No''
 `wp_xmlrpc_server::_prepare_media_item()` - can't be in admin if xmlrpc
 `wp_get_attachment_thumb_url()` - its only caller is
 `get_attachment_icon_src()`, which isn't admin-y and is deprecated
 `image_size_input_fields()` - This only seems to be used by a Flash-based
 legacy media uploader. We're pretty sure that shouldn't be aware of the
 editor's image size constraints, but we're not sure; perhaps it should?
 `wp_get_attachment_image_src()` - just based on the name, it should just
 be giving you dimensions that aren't adulterated by editor considerations.

 ----

 `wp_get_attachment_image_src()` is really tricky, though, because it's
 called in a further fifteen functions, and we don't know if TinyMCE is
 using any of those in its process of rendering images in the Visual
 editor.

 This relates to a more general question: Is
 `image_constrain_size_for_editor()` ''just'' for making sure that the
 TinyMCE Visual Editor doesn't attempt to render 5000px-wide images? Or is
 it used for another purpose, somewhere else in the admin?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35390#comment:26>