[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #17771: URL-encoded comment_author_url gets broken by MySQL varchar 200 length limit

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Mar 18 17:38:57 UTC 2017

#17771: URL-encoded comment_author_url gets broken by MySQL varchar 200 length
limit
------------------------------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  tenpura                             |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                        |  SergeyBiryukov
                                                |  Resolution:
                                                |     Focuses:
------------------------------------------------+--------------------------
Changes (by dshanske):

 * keywords:  has-patch 4.7-early => has-patch dev-feedback 2nd-opinion
 * component:  Pings/Trackbacks => Comments

Comment:

 While the issue may be caused by pingbacks with long URLS, since the issue
 is that of comment fields, I'm reclassifying this as a comment component
 issue.

 The decision that has to be made is how to address the limitation.
 Speaking from the Pings and Trackbacks point of view, which I think we
 need to address concurrently, using comment_author_url as the source for
 the pingback/trackback means you can't have an actual author URL separate
 from the source...which is an issue for my continued proposal of improving
 the display to be useful. So I'd like that to be kept in mind, but not
 override the actual issue of length.

 The comments seem to indicate that there is no objection to moving the
 source of the pingback to the comment_meta, and having the code check the
 comment_author_url if no meta key exists. But that would require another
 database check, as mentioned. The Comment object doesn't pull in meta
 keys, so that also has to be addressed.

 We might be able to pair this issue with other tickets that talk about
 enhancing comments in general and their retrieval to figure out a
 solution. This includes things like last modified for comments, comment
 avatars not coming from gravatar, etc. and look at the biger picture
 there.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/17771#comment:20>