[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39709: Add filler content to New Site Registration email to avoid space ratio spam rule

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Mar 9 15:03:10 UTC 2017

#39709: Add filler content to New Site Registration email to avoid space ratio spam
rule
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  iandunn      |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by iandunn):

 > 1. Reproduce the issue with a local SpamAssassin instance, to verify
 that 2.5 is the default score for this message (rather than something Help
 Scout modified)

 I checked the current message using [http://spamcheck.postmarkapp.com/
 Postmark's spam-check API] and it got a score of `6.9`, with the following
 breakdown:

 {{{
  pts rule name               description
 ---- ----------------------
 -0.0 NO_RELAYS              Informational: message was not relayed via
 SMTP
  0.4 NO_DNS_FOR_FROM        RBL: Envelope sender has no MX or A DNS
 records
  0.0 URIBL_BLOCKED          ADMINISTRATOR NOTICE: The query to URIBL was
 blocked.
                             See
 http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DnsBlocklists#dnsbl-block
                              for more information.
                             [URIs: wordcamp.dev]
  2.6 URI_WPADMIN            WordPress login/admin URI, possible phishing
 -0.0 NO_RECEIVED            Informational: message has no Received headers
  0.0 TVD_SPACE_RATIO        TVD_SPACE_RATIO
  1.5 PHP_ORIG_SCRIPT        Sent by bot & other signs
  2.4 TVD_SPACE_RATIO_MINFP  Space ratio
 }}}

 Related: I opened #40081 for the `URL_WPADMIN` issue.

 > 2. Test that adding some filler text will prevent the rule from being
 triggered. I don't think it'll really matter what the text is, for the
 purposes of testing.

 Adding the `Howdy...` example message above dropped the message's score
 from `6.9` to `3.0`. So, I think that's a good solution. The next step
 would be to settle on what the real filler message should be. Any
 opinions?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39709#comment:1>