[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #41198: Reference dynamic hooks in doc blocks, e.g. archive_template -> {$type}_template

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 29 16:04:47 UTC 2017

#41198: Reference dynamic hooks in doc blocks, e.g. archive_template ->
{$type}_template
--------------------------+---------------------------
 Reporter:  donutz        |       Owner:  DrewAPicture
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed
Changes (by DrewAPicture):

 * owner:   => DrewAPicture
 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 In [changeset:"40964"]:
 {{{
 #!CommitTicketReference repository="" revision="40964"
 Docs: Don't reference non-existent hooks inline in the DocBlock
 descriptions for the following template functions:

 * `get_index_template()`
 * `get_404_template()`
 * `get_author_template()`
 * `get_category_template()`
 * `get_tag_template()`
 * `get_taxonomy_template()`
 * `get_date_template()`
 * `get_home_template()`
 * `get_front_page_template()`
 * `get_page_template()`
 * `get_search_template()`
 * `get_single_template()`
 * `get_embed_template()`
 * `get_singular_template()`
 * `get_attachment_template()`

 As mentioned when these dynamic hook references were originally fixed in
 [33274], we can't link to non-existent hooks inline because the Code
 Reference auto-linker won't pick up on the dynamic-ness of the hook, it'll
 just try to link to a hook reference that doesn't exist. In these cases,
 we need to be generic and provide context for the value of `$type`.

 See [38418] for where the original fix was reversed. See this changeset
 for reversing the reversal.

 Props donutz, milana_cap.

 Fixes #41198.

Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/41198#comment:7>