[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #41337: Links in dashboard WordPress Events should open in new tab/window by default

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jul 17 03:12:30 UTC 2017

#41337: Links in dashboard WordPress Events should open in new tab/window by
default
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
 Reporter:  milleronic          |       Owner:
     Type:  feature request     |      Status:  new
Changes (by knutsp):

 * keywords:  target-blank => target-blank close
 * component:  Widgets => Administration

Comment:

 @milleronic  While I respect your reasoning, and you are not alone on
 this, and it is nearly a 20 year old discussion, I beg to differ
 completely. Because ...

 > Taking users away from their site is taking control as much as opening
 an external link in a new tab.

 No, it isn't. When there is no `target="_blank"`, '''I''', the user,
 decide how the link should open in my browser, tab, window or self. When
 `target="_blank"`is present, on the other hand, some page author has
 already decided for me, and practically forces me. No way to get around it
 without injecting a script to manipulate the DOM on load.

 > Taking users away from their site ...

 That is what external links ''do'' no matter if a new tab is opened,
 because the new tab is usually focused, if not set (in browser) to open in
 the background. If you unintentionally leave a page (internal or external
 link) you can always go back. Closing a tab, on the other hand doesn't
 always focus the previous tab. It depends on browser settings.

 If I want to leave the dashboard for a moment to visit another site
 linked, I just click or in another way activate/enter the link. If not, I
 either do not click/activate the link, or I hold a modifier key, or
 command by browsing tool, to ''demand'' a new tab or window.

 The only situation when `target="_blank"` helps the user is on form pages
 without autosave or "dirty detection" / AYS dialog, or other applications
 with a user initiated ''state''. It then prevents unintentional data loss,
 or other loss of such established state.

 Remember also, that not all users use a ''visual'' browser. This fact
 doesn't necessarily favor  my view, or your view, but it surely makes me
 want to listen to experienced people on web accessibility. Forcing a new
 tab/window mean there should to be a warning or some informational element
 indicating this, along with the link itself.

 Web authoring should focus on helping the user to ''keep'' control, not
 trying to frame them in any way ... "not to leave the site" Especially,
 when it's their own site, they will surely have no trouble getting back no
 matter far they go surfing away from it.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/41337#comment:3>