[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #41273: WP REST API: allow separate add_post_type_support() for post when accessing via REST vs WP Admin

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jul 10 07:07:47 UTC 2017

#41273: WP REST API: allow separate add_post_type_support() for post when accessing
via REST vs WP Admin
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  lougreenwood     |       Owner:
     Type:  feature request  |      Status:  new

Comment (by rmccue):

 I'm not sure exactly what your use case is here; if you could elaborate
 exactly what you're trying to achieve, that would be pretty useful.

 Are you using the `add_post_type_support()` calls simply to add/remove
 admin UI?

 Generally speaking, the REST API represents the underlying data structures
 in WordPress, and thus it doesn't make sense for it to support different
 things to the admin. With that said, some of the post type supports are
 used ambiguously in WordPress; in particular, things like `editor` can
 control both whether you want the editor UI in the admin, and whether you
 have post content at all.

 We may be able to introduce new filters to enable turning off the UI
 without changing the underlying post type support, which would probably be
 a better way to solve this, if it's what you're doing.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/41273#comment:1>