[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40960: Widgets: The Text widget should respect the “Disable the visual editor when writing” setting

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jul 2 09:38:08 UTC 2017

#40960: Widgets: The Text widget should respect the “Disable the visual editor when
writing” setting
-----------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  westonruter            |       Owner:  azaozz
     Type:  defect (bug)           |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by skoen):

 * severity:  normal => critical

Comment:

 I am worried now. This ticket has spiraled out of control because someone
 clearly doesn't understand that is happening. Let me show you what is
 happening.

 On five of my sites we are using four different text widget as footers.
 All of these contain HTML codes to make them appear as they should. If I
 want to make a change to the widget, like updating a link or update some
 information I have to view the source and copy the current HTML code into
 a text editor.

 Then when accessing Widgets in the WP dashboard I have to make sure that I
 don't perform the changes while the editor is in TinyMCE mode (Visual),
 because it will break the code. This broken code is very visible if I
 change to Text to see the HTML code.

 It turns this
 [[Image(http://i.imgur.com/1Ln6V3L.jpg)]]
 into this
 [[Image(http://i.imgur.com/U5m4XRa.jpg)]]

 This is why this ticket has to stay on topic and why we need to revert the
 current Text widget back to being a clean HTML widget, and instead
 introduce a new «rich text» widget and encourage the users to start using
 this one, while making it possible for us who are using HTML tags in our
 current Text widgets to continue using the ones we are using and not break
 the site or the code.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/40960#comment:29>