[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40960: Widgets: The Text widget should respect the “Disable the visual editor when writing” setting

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jul 2 01:11:48 UTC 2017

#40960: Widgets: The Text widget should respect the “Disable the visual editor when
writing” setting
-----------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  westonruter            |       Owner:  azaozz
     Type:  defect (bug)           |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by carasmo):

 The majority of Genesis child themes are widgetized front pages with
 arbitrary html in the old text widget. It would be over kill to add a
 builder or make another widget with an interface when html will do just
 fine. It's not a few users, it's quite a lot. FontAwesome (empty tags),
 paragraphs wrapping and messing up the layout ... so many issues with just
 very simple, non-hacky html in a widget with a description "arbitrary
 html".

 I loved the post by FolioVision.

 Replying to [comment:23 azaozz]:

 > How did you count them? I'd say they are "tens of sites" where the users
 had followed some not-so-great advice to add some not-so-great html, and
 then attempt to edit these hacks. :)

 > Your "ideal" solution seems to be to stop everybody edit theirs Text
 widgets with the newly added editor in order to "save" the few users that
 followed the mostly not-so-great advice and used a Text widget to add html
 hacks to their sites.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/40960#comment:24>