[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40960: Widgets: The Text widget should respect the “Disable the visual editor when writing” setting

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jul 1 22:59:58 UTC 2017

#40960: Widgets: The Text widget should respect the “Disable the visual editor when
writing” setting
-----------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  westonruter            |       Owner:  azaozz
     Type:  defect (bug)           |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:18 FolioVision]:

 Wow, so much hatred... This kind of "post" would be perfect for your own
 site, but don't think it belongs on trac.

 Few things:

 Promoting your own plugin on trac is really spammy. Could you edit your
 comment and remove that part please. Looking at that plugin, the name
 `BusinessPress` seems quite misleading. This seems to be a plugin that
 mostly circumvents security for convenience. Imho this type of plugins
 should come with a big warning:

 = Using some of the features of this plugin will make your site vulnerable
 to attacks. If you disable auto-updating, it is imperative that you check
 for WordPress security updates few times per day or your site may get
 compromised. =

 >> ...the reason we are breaking millions of WordPress sites

 How did you count them? I'd say they are "tens of sites" where the users
 had followed some not-so-great advice to add some not-so-great html, and
 then attempt to edit these hacks. :)

 Your "ideal" solution seems to be to stop everybody edit theirs Text
 widgets with the newly added editor in order to "save" the few users that
 followed the mostly not-so-great advice and used a Text widget to add html
 hacks to their sites.

 From the examples I've seen: adding inline `<script>` is considered "bad
 practice" (as it is not cacheable in the browser) and may lead to slowed
 page load. Adding `<style>` mid-page is harmful as it slows page loading a
 lot and most search engines will penalize (reduce SEO ranking) sites that
 do this. The last example was with removing empty spans and links, but
 think we should fix this in TinyMCE.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/40960#comment:23>