[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39740: Twenty Seventeen: Allow child themes to use front-page.php when front page is set to "Your Latest Posts"

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jan 31 12:07:46 UTC 2017

#39740: Twenty Seventeen: Allow child themes to use front-page.php when front page
is set to "Your Latest Posts"
---------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  johnnyb        |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by sami.keijonen):

 If I remember correctly `frontpage_template` filter is used because
 otherwise user would have to choose Custom Page Template as a static front
 page. That's an extra step (and hard/confusing for new users) for user.

 1. Does it break WP's template hierarchy? In a sense yes but setting up a
 front page in WP is kind of broken for business type of themes. This is
 the current best solution which still respect user Front page displays
 settings.
 1. I'd use `home.php` in my child theme for custom "My latest post"
 design.
 3. Yes ticket #39299 is different because it's about allowing child themes
 using custom page template as static front page. In use it on my own
 themes for that reason.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39740#comment:3>