[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39740: Twenty Seventeen: Allow child themes to use front-page.php when front page is set to "Your Latest Posts"

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 30 20:21:05 UTC 2017

#39740: Twenty Seventeen: Allow child themes to use front-page.php when front page
is set to "Your Latest Posts"
---------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  johnnyb        |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by johnnyb):

 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  duplicate =>

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:1 ocean90]:
 Hi! Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to argue my case for a fix a bit
 more:

 I'm not convinced this is a duplicate, because:

 1) A default theme shouldn't break WP's template hierarchy.

 2) The [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39299#comment:1 solution]
 isn't as simple as the "one line" it claims. This actually works, but I
 believe shouldn't be needed:

 {{{
 function jb_hey_twentyseventeen_dont_filter_frontpage_template_wrongly() {
         remove_filter( 'frontpage_template',
 'twentyseventeen_front_page_template' );
 }
 add_action( 'after_setup_theme',
 'jb_hey_twentyseventeen_dont_filter_frontpage_template_wrongly' );
 }}}

 3) This is kind of semantics, but this describes a different behaviour
 than #39299, (if I'm reading it right, that reporter wants to be able to
 choose a template in the Edit Page UI), so shouldn't this should be
 'wontfix' if it's not going to be fixed?

 If this is a case of a lack of manpower to fix an edge case, I'm willing
 to try to come up with a patch.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39740#comment:2>