[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #23578: URLs wrapped in <> parsed as HTML when wp_mail_content_type set to text/html

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jan 18 05:28:40 UTC 2017

#23578: URLs wrapped in <> parsed as HTML when wp_mail_content_type set to
text/html
--------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  iandunn       |       Owner:
Changes (by SergeyBiryukov):

 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => 4.8

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:6 iandunn]:
 > Since retrieve_password() is the only Core function that wraps URLs in
 <>, then I think just making it aware of the content-type is a good
 solution until everything is converted over to HTML.

 `wp_new_user_notification()` [source:tags/4.7.1/src/wp-
 includes/pluggable.php?marks=1791#L1777 does the same] since [33023], and,
 since it's a pluggable function, potentially any plugin that overrides it
 would use angle brackets as well.

 think `retrieve_password()` is the right place for this fix:
 * `nl2br()` makes the message more readable, but it would be inconsistent
 with other core emails if `wp_mail_content_type` is set to `text/html`
 globally.
 * As noted above, it doesn't fix plugins that might override
 `wp_new_user_notification()` or wrap URLs in angle brackets in their own
 emails.

 I think we should deal with it in `wp_mail()`, see

Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/23578#comment:17>