[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39609: Customizer should display "Fade" effect for entire iFrame for settings using partialRefresh when selector is not visible

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jan 17 01:30:42 UTC 2017

#39609: Customizer should display "Fade" effect for entire iFrame for settings
using partialRefresh when selector is not visible
 Reporter:  AJClarke     |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  Customize    |    Version:  4.7.1
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui           |
 When modifying the value of a setting in the customizer that uses
 partialRefresh for the transport, typically, the element that is being
 modified on the live site fades out as the customizer replaces the element
 with the correct output. This gives the user a nice visual letting them
 know to be patient as the output is modified.

 In some cases, the element being modified may not be visible in which case
 there is no cue to the user to let them know things are being updated.

 A good example would be an advanced setting for changing the color scheme
 of the site which adds inline CSS to the head tag. Here is a little video
 example: https://cl.ly/illS (I don't use postMessage for this setting
 because there are filters in place so developers can hook in custom
 elements to be modified and for 3rd party plugin support).

 I'm sure there are other circumstances where a setting may be altering a
 "hidden" element. This is just one example and while there is very little
 delay in my specific example, I believe for consistency and UI purposes it
 would make sense to add the extra check to see if the element is visible
 and if not fade-out the whole iFrame during the refresh process.

 Thank you for considering!