[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38799: Normalize the registration of settings and control dependencies in the customize api

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 16 18:31:22 UTC 2017

#38799: Normalize the registration of settings and control dependencies in the
customize api
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  nikeo        |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by nikeo):

 fixed typos... :)

 Replying to [comment:2 nikeo]:
 > Replying to [comment:1 celloexpressions]:
 > > Thanks for the detailed proposal @nikeo. I think this may be a good
 candidate for a make/core post to gather broader feedback before
 determining the best approach, and that could include comparisons of
 current approaches to doing this (via more complex JS, `active_callback`s,
 etc.) that would be improved by expanding the core API.

 > > @westonruter do you have any thoughts here?
 >
 > OK. Yes sure. Gathering more information is a must have before deciding
 this kind of additions.
 > I've already worked on something that works quite fine.
 > Some key consideration are :
 > 1) to be able to simply populate the dependency description in an object
 that extends the api one.
 > 2) to make sure dynamic section / settings/ controls are taken into
 account ( the api.Value::when() method and the api 'change' event are our
 friends for that ).
 > 3) to make sure that cross section dependencies work fine, even in a
 lazy load context ( which will be implemented in the future as far as I
 understand). For that, this dependency class has to make sure that a
 control not yet instantiated has to be sort of "awaken".

 > Let me know if / how I can help further on this. I'll be happy to if I
 can.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38799#comment:3>