[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39517: American Cent Sign (¢) in Slugs/Permalinks Cannot be read by browser, forces 404 page

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jan 8 05:16:09 UTC 2017

#39517: American Cent Sign (¢) in Slugs/Permalinks Cannot be read by browser,
forces 404 page
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  beyondavatars  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)   |     Status:  new
Component:  Permalinks     |    Version:  4.6.1
 Severity:  normal         |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                 |
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 So I am pretty tired of manually fixing this myself in the code every
 update so here is me contrubting finally to the community. :) I was going
 to make a pull request but you guys don't use github?!? No worries.

 How to reproduce this:

 1. Create a post with the title "Test ¢". FYI on Mac it is option + 4 to
 create that symbol.
 2. Go to the post permalink.

 Expected behavior: The page loads just fine.
 Actual behavior: 404 because the browser can't interpret ¢ in the URL.

 Code fix suggestion:

 "¢" => ""

 Just add it here: https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/master/wp-
 includes/formatting.php#L1616