[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39700: wpemoji code in wp header triggers tracking protection warnings in browsers/plugins

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Feb 13 04:10:43 UTC 2017

#39700: wpemoji code in wp header triggers tracking protection warnings in
browsers/plugins
 Reporter:  corvuscorax   |       Owner:
Changes (by dd32):

 * keywords:   => close

Comment:

 > Not sure if there's any method to feature detect without using canvass.

 This is exactly why Canvas is used, there are no other reliable methods
 (other than UA sniffing, and even that's hit-and-miss) which allows
 Javascript to differentiate between whether a browser supports the various
 different sets of emojis correctly.

 If anyone can come up with an alternate way to detect emoji support while
 handling all the cross-browser/cross-plarform issues then we'd be all ears
 - but until then my suggestion is that the plugins which block canvas
 tracking should instead allow non-malicious uses of canvas through,
 although that may be just as impossible (simply allowing emoji-only canvas
 use might be possible for example).

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39700#comment:2>