[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39788: Add documentation to the `retrieve_password_message` filter that returning empty messages stops email

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Feb 5 04:11:08 UTC 2017

#39788: Add documentation to the `retrieve_password_message` filter that returning
empty messages stops email
------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  sudar                   |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement             |     Status:  new
Component:  Login and Registration  |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal                  |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  docs                    |
------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 When a user resets his password, WordPress sents the password reset email.

 Both `retrieve_password_message` and `retrieve_password_title` filters are
 exposed to provide plugins an ability to customize the title or message of
 the password reset emails.

 If the `retrieve_password_message` filter returns an empty string for
 message, then the email itself is not sent. The code at
 https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/master/wp-login.php#L372
 checks for this condition.

 This is not documented anywhere. We should ideally document it by adding
 it to the phpdoc block of the filter so that it is reflected in the
 developer docs.

 I am attaching a patch that adds this documentation to the phpdoc block.