[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42968: Media: Grid View: new upload, file is in the wrong position in the grid until after upload is complete

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Dec 22 19:45:46 UTC 2017

#42968: Media: Grid View: new upload, file is in the wrong position in the grid
until after upload is complete
 Reporter:  lancewillett  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Media         |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui            |
 '''Steps to reproduce'''

 1. Log in to your WordPress site.
 2. Go to wp-admin/upload.php (or click Media link in the wp-admin menu)
 3. Take a look at the grid view of images and files, if you have any
 there.
 4. Now, add a new file.
 5. Pay attention to where the new file goes in the grid during the upload.
 This is more obvious on a slow host with a huge file like a 1GB video.

 '''What I expected'''
 I expected the new file to appear at the top left position in the grid
 during upload and processsing.

 '''What happened instead'''
 The file appears inside the grid, not in the position I expected. The
 result is — as an author — that I feel like the upload didn't work because
 my eyes are looking for the new placeholder at the top left of the grid.

 Note: the upload does work. And it does appear at the position I expect —
 but only after upload is complete and the file is saved.

 '''Browser / OS version'''
 Tested on OS X 10.12.6 with Safari, Chrome, and Firefox (all latest
 stable).

 '''Screenshot / Video'''
 https://cloudup.com/cHuVsO0OQd1 -- animated GIF

 Attaching 2 screenshots: step 1, you'll see the new image file is in-
 between the 2 existing files. After upload, it moves to the left as
 expected.

 '''Context / Source'''
 Real life usage on WordPress.com; tracked it back to a vanilla WP install,
 version 5.0-alpha-42125-src. Two plugins: Debug Bar and Debug Bar console.
 Default theme.