[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40514: Cannot pull favorites from Wordpress.org when adding plugin(s) to WP installs

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Apr 21 15:30:38 UTC 2017

#40514: Cannot pull favorites from Wordpress.org when adding plugin(s) to WP
installs
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  Vision Hive     |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)    |     Status:  new
Component:  Plugins         |    Version:  4.7.4
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  administration  |
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 My user name is "Vision Hive". My 15 years of php programming experience
 suspect that the space in the user name is what is not being handled
 correctly in the api/call to wordpress.org. However, this feature used to
 work just fine and my user name has not changed so it could be something
 else.

 Steps to reproduce:
 Sign up for an account on wordpress.org and choose a username with a space
 (or maybe other non-alpha characters). Go to any wordpress installation
 and open the plugin -> add and then select "favorites" and enter your
 username (or mine). Sit back and witness failure.

 Personal notes: please don't be lazy and suggest changing my user name to
 not have a space as a fix. That would be a sloppy workaround, not a fix.
 It would not solve the problem for any number of *other* users that have
 the space in their usernames, and it does not address the core issue which
 could affect any number of special characters that are perfectly
 normal/legal in a username. It would be like asking someone to change
 their name because it has a dash in it, or something else equally
 inconsiderate/insensitive.