[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37471: Customizer: Widgets: If your theme only has one widget area, we should open it automatically

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 5 20:56:22 UTC 2017

#37471: Customizer: Widgets: If your theme only has one widget area, we should open
it automatically
 Reporter:  melchoyce                            |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned
  patch                                          |  administration

Comment (by westonruter):

 @delawski great, that fixed the issue I observed! Great job. Tested in
 IE9, IE11, Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.

 @melchoyce one more thing I realized that I think needs to be addressed
 here. If the panel gets skipped from being shown when there is only one
 widget area, this means that the general help text added to the panel is
 not then shown. So this this  help text from the panel:

 [[Image( widgets-panel-description.png, width=300 )]]

 Is not also shown in the section where instead the description of the
 sidebar is shown instead:

 [[Image( missing-panel-help-text-in-section.png, width=300 )]]

 So how about this: what if we combine the description from the panel with
 the description from the sidebar and put them into the same collapsed
 description in the section like appears on the panel, in other words:

 [[Image( widget-area-section-with-collapsed-description.png, width=300 )]]
 [[Image( widget-area-section-with-combined-panel-description-and-sidebar-
 description.png, width=300 )]]

 This is implemented in https://github.com/xwp/wordpress-
 develop/pull/194/commits/d23b3d51cf85991dbf5743e035479f6a6d67b223

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37471#comment:25>