[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40336: Links to media files not updating with SSL activation and/or preferred domain change

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Apr 2 11:17:37 UTC 2017

#40336: Links to media files not updating with SSL activation and/or preferred
domain change
 Reporter:  only1andrewh  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Media         |    Version:  4.7.3
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 I have recently activated SSL encryption on one of my websites. Everything
 works fine, everything gets loaded just fine except that the links on
 images and media files that lead to them don't update.

 All images inside a post load as expected in thumbnail form, clicking on
 them to view the full size with lightbox leads to an error where the file
 can't be found. The link still contains the http://www.XXX.com version of
 the file location.

 In my case in particular, I have set https rewrites in .htaccess so it
 only loads the https version, and have setup in the main settings that the
 website&wordpress address is the non-www https version.

 It was truly a surprise to me to see that the links aren't relative but
 absolute.