[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35395: Provide a better gateway for code-based theme customizations with the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Sep 28 21:49:26 UTC 2016

#35395: Provide a better gateway for code-based theme customizations with the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions                     |       Owner:  johnregan3
     Type:  feature request                      |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 Summarizing the discussion in today's dev chat, we're going to proceed
 without CSSTidy or CodeMirror for 4.7 (pending the actual feature proposal
 and approval). CSSTidy doesn't actually provide much security benefit, and
 generally doesn't have enough positives to offset its size. CodeMirror
 (for syntax highlighting) is nice-to-have and can be added later; it's one
 more piece that we don't have time to consider at the moment.

 For security, we will introduce a new meta capability, `unfiltered_css`,
 that is mapped to `unfiltered_html` by default. We should release a .org
 plugin that re-maps this to something that multisite site admin have, so
 that it can be easily opted into on multisite. See #28605 for the
 implementation of a meta cap. Where we can, it would be nice to expand the
 validation that is in place to cover more common mistakes.

 We can also make some additional improvements to the UX, which @folletto
 has volunteered to assist with. In addition to validation, and keeping in
 mind that we won't have a code editor for now, we can improve the
 descriptive help text and make other minor adjustments.

 @johnregan3 can you coordinate with @folletto for the design adjustments,
 and make the code changes as discussed, in the next few days? Once we have
 a completed patch, the next step is the make/core post, which is scheduled
 to go out next week for final approval.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35395#comment:50>