[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Sep 26 21:45:23 UTC 2016

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  celloexpressions
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  assigned
  screenshots needs-testing has-     |  javascript
  user-testing ux-feedback           |

Comment (by folletto):

 Hello! I uploaded i2a and i2b, two design proposal for this feature. The
 idea of having this component full screen is to allow a quicker browsing,
 between themes. In practice it optimizes two things: the ability to browse
 and pick themes, and the ability to preview and customize them.

 The two proposals share many improvements:

 1. The top navigation is standardized to be more coherent with the
 customizer.
 2. Every UI component reuses customizer patterns too, instead of a mix of
 wp-admin and customizer
 3. Polishes the filter bar, trying to apply (quick) fixes to some of its
 behaviours. All the actions are now contained in that single bar.
 4. Fixes the search box which acts independently, but in the existing wp-
 admin UI is instead alternative to the other filters. Note that this is a
 quick fix, ideally search should combine with filters, thus not cancelling
 them when active.
 5. Upload theme is in a box too. This isn't a pure pattern, but I thought
 to keep it mostly for symmetry with the other pieces of this specific
 proposal.
 6. HUGE improvements in mobile: a simple dropdown that combines all the
 possible options, in a simple, vertical list.
 7. Still missing on mobile the expanded views for filters, search, and
 upload theme, but should work in a similar way.

 The difference between i2a and i2b:

 * i2a is the one that most closely matches the customizer as it is now.
 Given that I'd like to simplify the header in the customizer overall, I
 think that right now would be better to keep the old one, and do a pass
 later to "compact" the headers everywhere, in a coordinated way.
 * i2b is instead a first round of compacting, that however doesn't diverge
 too much from the customizer: while the header is different, the UI
 patterns are the same.

 I wanted to push out first a design for the initial idea of this ticket,
 so we have all in mind the same thing, and then we can review and decide
 to take different roads if we prefer. :)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:49>