[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35395: Provide a better gateway for code-based theme customizations with the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Sep 26 09:57:09 UTC 2016

#35395: Provide a better gateway for code-based theme customizations with the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions                     |       Owner:  johnregan3
     Type:  feature request                      |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by rabmalin):

 Replying to [comment:43 BinaryMoon]:
 > Replying to [comment:42 poena]:
 > > I really doubt that user finds creating child themes easier than copy
 paste text into an area of the customizer. This whole idea would have been
 a non issue if that was true.

 > Totally agreed
 >
 > Replying to [comment:40 azzoaz]:
 > >Even if this finds its way in core, I don't think it needs a preview.
 >
 > I don't think you're the target audience. The use cases you mentioned
 are quite limited. For example what about users who want to customize the
 output of plugins? What about users who are using child themes already
 (because they purchased Genesis with a child theme - or some other parent
 child combo)? I think this is about more than just themes.

 > >that will benefit only a small amount of users
 >
 > How do you know how many it will benefit? I think it would be quite a
 large number of people. I searched the plugin directory and there's
 currently over 500k active sites using custom css plugins - plus
 wordpress.com, and jetpack which we can't count. That's a decent amount of
 people imo. Plus there's plugins such as my own custom login plugin (which
 has 10k active installs) that include custom css abilities.

 > > The implementation here is to allow permanent changes to the theme's
 styles.

 > Perhaps I misunderstood what this change is doing but I thought it was
 non destructive. This change does not edit the theme stylesheet. It saves
 the data in the database (through a theme mod) and then outputs it on page
 load. This means it's easy to update themes, and to remove the custom
 styles if something goes wrong. It's a lot less destructive than the theme
 editor (which I would be happy to see go away).

 > During my 9 years selling premium themes I've helped hundreds of people
 with custom css tweaks and many had made attempts before contacting me. A
 core solution would be fantastic.

 Agree fully. I am really looking for Custom CSS box in core so that I dont
 have to ask user to install plugin to just paste few lines of CSS.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35395#comment:45>