[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35395: Provide a better gateway for code-based theme customizations with the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Sep 24 09:35:04 UTC 2016

#35395: Provide a better gateway for code-based theme customizations with the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions                     |       Owner:  johnregan3
     Type:  feature request                      |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by ThemeZee):

 I would like to add my perspective as a theme author here.

 I agree that the Theme Editor is bad for users. I wish it would be
 removed. Users should not be able to edit PHP files, because they can
 easily break their sites.

 But I'm a really huge fan of adding a CSS Editor to the Customizer. I
 support my themes via email, wordpress.org forums and wordpress.com
 forums. I often provide CSS snippets as long as it is only some small
 visual customizations the user wants. I think WordPress users get in
 contact with CSS all the time, because we as developers often provide them
 with CSS code. Just look at the forums.

 Now a lot of themes include Custom CSS settings in their themes. There are
 also several very popular plugins for these. For me this only means that
 many users need this feature. A Core solution could improve the UI for
 users, because the CSS options are always at the same location. It will
 also handle sanitization and security much better than all the custom
 implementations in themes.

 WordPress.com gives users the possibility to add CSS code in the
 Customizer: https://en.support.wordpress.com/custom-design/editing-css/
 I think they should have some real user data that CSS options in the
 Customizer work well for users.

 I do not agree that users should not make CSS customizations. They can not
 break anything here like with the Theme Editor. The WordPress Backend will
 always work fine, and if they do not like their customizations they can
 always remove the CSS code.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35395#comment:39>