[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38525: "Theme locations" / "Menu Locations" when editing a nav menu are confusing labels

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 27 05:26:02 UTC 2016

#38525: "Theme locations" / "Menu Locations" when editing a nav menu are confusing
labels
--------------------------+----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  helen         |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Menus         |    Version:
 Severity:  minor         |   Keywords:  needs-patch good-first-bug
  Focuses:  docs          |
 First: the fact that there are two different labels (admin screen vs.
 customizer respectively) is pretty terrible. But beyond that, neither
 really makes a lot of sense in the context of being a setting for the nav
 menu you are currently editing. IMO it should be "Display location", as in
 "this is the display location (or locations) I want for this particular
 nav menu I am currently editing". I don't really want to do an awkward
 "Display location(s)" type of string - the checkboxes hopefully indicate
 that you can display the same menu in more than one place, but in practice
 as far as I've ever seen that's not particularly common.