[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16031: Bulk actions: Reactivate bulk actions hook + add hander hook for all admin screens

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Oct 15 21:33:48 UTC 2016

#16031: Bulk actions: Reactivate bulk actions hook + add hander hook for all admin
screens
----------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  Veraxus         |       Owner:  ericlewis
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  assigned
Changes (by johnbillion):

 * focuses:   => docs

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:98 Veraxus]:
 > 3. Third argument is always the array of items (array).
 > 4. Fourth argument applies to network screens only, but is the site id
 (int)

 The problem is that the items contained within the third parameter -- and
 therefore the description needed for it -- differ between instances of
 this hook. The items can be posts, comments, users, etc, and this means
 the documentation for the same hook name varies across its different
 instances. Same applies for the fourth argument - this argument is not
 always present so its description differs.

 By the way -- for clarity -- I'm thinking about this from the perspective
 of the generated documentation on `developer.wordpress.org`. It's not
 possible to have multiple different `@param` descriptions for one hook
 that varies depending on the value of the dynamic part of its name.

 > If you're looking at the patches, you might have noticed that the names
 of the variables being fed to the hook vary from screen to screen, which
 may be where this misunderstanding comes from.

 The actual variable name doesn't matter to the hook docs -- its
 description and contents does.

 >   * Separate the network-targetted hooks into
 `handle_network_bulk_actions-*` solely because those hooks get the site id
 as an extra argument (unnecessary, IMO).

 Yes, this is a good idea to solve the problem of the fourth parameter.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16031#comment:99>