[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Oct 14 00:51:19 UTC 2016

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  reviewing
  screenshots needs-testing has-     |  javascript
  user-testing ux-feedback           |
Changes (by celloexpressions):

 * owner:  celloexpressions => westonruter
 * status:  reopened => reviewing

Comment:

 In [attachment:37661.9.diff]:
 - Update search section to remove the icon and show the selected icon
 inside the input.
 - Remove install buttons, except in the details modal. This also
 eliminates the double-spinner problem for the most part.
 - Add an aria-label to every button (and the theme details "button") in
 the theme control, describing the button's action and including the theme
 name for context.
 - Fix z-index of details modal - probably. There was a bizzare bug where
 it fixed itself as soon as I opened the inspector, but after bumping it it
 seems to be okay...
 - Fix aria-label when installing.
 - Announce theme count with `wp.a11y.speak` when it changes.
 - In lieu of aria-labels within the details modal, announce what theme is
 being displayed there, as all buttons within that view are contextual to
 that theme.
 - Added an aria-label to the main change theme button.

 Other notes:
 - I cannot reprocude the issue with the filters disappearing when
 focussing a theme control. But I don't have a Safari to test in.
 - The save & publish notice, as well as the stay/leave AYS will go away
 with changesets, so those will stay for now but we don't need to worry
 about them.
 - I found one more instance of divs as direct children of `ul`; however,
 changing that to `li` literally broke everything so we can't change that
 for now.
 - See #34391 for the `aria-owns` thing.
 - The filters have `aria-expanded`, is that not working or the best
 approach there?

 Let's open a new ticket to handle those issues if needed after the initial
 commit.

 Assigning to @westonruter for final code review.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:99>